Telefónica has claimed things are under control following a major cyber attack that affected thousands of companies across dozens of countries on Friday.
The Spain-based operator said in an internal memo that no customer data or services had been impacted by the incident, and that its telecommunications network was not affected.
The attack was centred on the company’s headquarters in Madrid, affecting the PCs of “some” employees in the company’s internal corporate network.
Telefónica said it was exposed to the malware through malicious emails but “immediately activated the security protocols for this type of incident in order to resolve the problem as soon as possible”.
The incident was part of a worldwide attack that began in the UK and Spain using ransomware, a malware that encrypts files on a user’s device and demands payment to allow the user to access them.
The attack featured software called WannaCrypt, which was stolen from a database kept by the National Security Agency in the US earlier this year.
Microsoft released a patch for this vulnerability in March, but said in a blog post that “many computers remain unpatched globally”.
The US company said it had worked “around the clock” to help customers who have been affected, and noted that the attack demonstrated “the degree to which cybersecurity has become a shared responsibility” between tech companies and their customers.
The attack also reportedly impacted Portugal Telecom and MegaFon, but neither operator has so far responded to a request for comment from European Communications.
Saudi Telecom has released a statement to confirm it was not affected by the attack despite reports circulating to the contrary.